Cities Under Attack – Sumy planned escape corridors

  1. First page
  2. policy

Created: Updated:

divided

Large-caliber ammunition can be found on the street in Irpin, on the outskirts of Kiev. © Vadim Ghirda / AP / dpa

Ukrainian cities continue to be bombed at night. Escape continues to be difficult. There are three evacuation corridors from the besieged city of Sumy.

Kiev – Local Ukrainian authorities reported shelling from several cities on Thursday night. Russian aircraft bombed the area around the northeastern Ukrainian city of Sumy.

This is what the head of the Sumy regional administration, Dmytro Shyvytskyi, wrote on Telegram. Residential areas were bombed again in the town of Ochtyrka south of Sumy. There is also information that a gas line was also hit there.

The mayor of the southern Ukrainian city of Mykolaiv also reported fires from multiple rocket launchers from the north. “Either they are testing the robustness of our checkpoints, or they are preparing for an offensive,” Mayor Olexandr Senkevich said in a live video on Facebook. He invited people to sleep in the basement. The information cannot be independently verified.

There are three escape corridors from Sumy

According to a Ukrainian official, three escape corridors are planned for Thursday to evacuate people from the Sumy region. These brought from the cities of Trostianets, Krasnopillya and Sumy in the direction of the central Ukrainian city of Poltava, Sumy regional administration head Dmytro Schyvytskyj said overnight on the Telegram news channel. The start of the ceasefire for the affected routes is scheduled for 8:00 CET.

According to Schywytskyi, other places in the region have been subjected to escape corridors, but these have not yet been confirmed. Escape corridors are routes that civilians can use to escape to safety.

The big city Sumy is included

Sumy is trapped, according to the UK Department of Defense. According to Zhyvytskyi, nearly 50,000 people left Sumy on Tuesday and Wednesday. About 10,000 private cars and 85 buses left the city on Wednesday alone, for a total of about 44,000 people.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said Wednesday evening that six escape corridors were planned for Thursday. It was initially unclear whether the three in the Sumy region would join these six or if they were already included. So far, the record for humanitarian corridors has been mixed. Above all, the evacuation of the port of Mariupol in southern Ukraine has been the subject of struggles for days. Several attempts since Sunday had failed and the agreed ceasefire had not lasted.

Russian attack on the maternity hospital

Ukraine accused Russia of attacking a maternity hospital in the besieged port city of Mariupol on Wednesday. Selenskyj posted a video via Twitter that is said to show completely devastated rooms in the clinic.

Heavy damage
The video still released by the municipal administration shows serious damage to the Mariupol pediatric hospital. © Uncredited / Mariupol City Council / AP / dpa

Consequently, one or more bullets or bombs must have hit the courtyard of the clinic complex. The blast destroyed windows, furniture and doors, as can be seen in the video. The land around the building on the Sea of ​​Azov in the south-east of the country was littered with rubble.

There were initially no comments from the Russian side. Moscow always stresses that it will not attack civilian targets.

“Attack by Russian troops on the maternity ward. The people, the children are under the rubble, “Zelenskyy wrote. The strategically important port city has been under siege for days by Russian troops. According to local authorities, several bombs have been dropped. This cannot be independently verified.

The UN chief condemns the attack on a clinic in Ukraine

UN Secretary General António Guterres condemned the attack on the maternity hospital attributed to Russia. “Today’s attack on a hospital in Mariupol, Ukraine, where the maternity and pediatric wards are located, is frightening,” Guterres wrote on Twitter. Civilians paid the ultimate price for a war that had nothing to do with them. “This senseless violence must stop.”

The British government also condemned the alleged attack with the utmost firmness. “There are few things more depraved than targeting the vulnerable and helpless,” Prime Minister Boris Johnson tweeted.

British Foreign Minister Liz Truss spoke of a “disgusting, merciless and frightening” attack at a press conference following talks with her US counterpart Antony Blinken.

Wladimir Klitschko supports his brother

In Ukraine, boxer Wladimir Klitschko, who supports his brother Vitali Klitschko, who works as mayor in Kiev, said about the situation in Mariupol: “You have to stop Putin’s war!” Russian troops killed children, parents and grandparents. “My heart is bleeding,” he said in a video message posted on Instagram. “To attack children is to attack life, civilization itself”.

Speaking to the White House, US President Joe Biden’s spokesperson Jen Psaki commented on reports of the Mariupol attack: “It is horrifying to see this kind of barbaric use of military force against civilians in an independent state.”

UN Commissioner for Human Rights: 516 civilians killed

The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights has documented the deaths of 516 civilians in Ukraine since Russia invaded. Among them were 37 minors, the Geneva office reported. The office also checked information on 908 injured, including 50 minors.

The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, Michelle Bachelet, always points out that the actual numbers are certainly much higher. Employees often needed days to check the death toll. The High Commissioner only reports fatalities and injuries that you have verified yourself.

“Most of the civilian casualties were caused by the use of long-range explosive weapons, including heavy artillery and rocket launchers, as well as missiles and air strikes,” Bachelet’s office said. dpa

Leave a Comment