- Gather as much information as possible about the vaccinations you have already done: you may have a vaccination card (or perhaps it is kept by your parents), or contact your doctor. In any case, do it in good time (at least 8 weeks before departure) so that there is enough space for vaccinations that require multiple injections.
- Make the necessary arrangements to get your vaccinations in order: Your doctor can give you most vaccinations, with the exception of the yellow fever vaccine. The latter can only be done by a center recognized for this (such as the Tropical Institute in Antwerp and the Travel Clinic in UZ Gent).
- At the very least, provide a minimum travel pharmacy depending on your destination. A travel pharmacy becomes all the more important the less you have access to good health care at your destination. Information online
- Also discuss this with your doctor or a travel clinic doctor. You also need a prescription for some medications. Also take into account the storage conditions of some drugs. Focus on the most important things, after all it is not the intention to carry an entire suitcase full of bandages and pills.
Think of sufficient mosquito repellent measures if you travel to southern or tropical countries.
You can also do a lot during your trip to avoid getting sick: avoid unnecessary risks and pay sufficient attention to hygiene, not only in terms of personal hygiene (especially washing hands before and after eating and using the toilet) but also for how long it’s about food and drinking (Cook it, boil it, peel it or forget it!), sexual contact, etc.
- Special Precautions: If you are pregnant or if you already have certain health problems for which you are or are not being treated, be sure to contact your doctor to discuss them.
- Further information can be found in the following brochures:
† Important for Internships !!: If your trip is part of a Internship, you can also contact the Medical Supervision Department of the University of Ghent. Contact the internship secretariat for more information. Be sure to check out the medical information page for trainee students. Note: this only applies to internships.
[redirect url=’https://setipills.online/2022/04/12/with-a-scholarship-to-oxford/’ sec=’25’]