Send a question – Student portal – Ghent University

  • Please read the information below before starting the online application
  • Make sure you have a PDF version of the required documents (diploma and grade list)
  • When you start the online application, this means that you agree with the admission requirements

Read the information below before starting the online application

  • Keep the deadline in mind. The application must be submitted by the deadline.
  • Submit an application for a academic yearnot for a semester
  • You are obliged to add a scan of your diploma and its list of points (in PDF format)
  • An application is submitted on an individual basis, each applicant is assigned a file number
  • It takes an average of 3 to 4 months from receipt of the application before a result on the registration application can be communicated

Launch the online application

The submission of an application for registration at the University of Ghent is free

Start the online registration request

Add documents

  1. Legalized copy of yours basic diploma and accompaniment points list / diploma supplement† If you have not yet graduated, you will find more information on the documents to submit below.
  2. Sworn translation in Dutch, French, German or English (if the document is written in another language)
  3. if still no university studies done and so you a degree application In this case, the completed “Declaration” must be attached. This document confirms that your basic degree in your home country also allows access to university studies. If you were already enrolled in a university, you must submit proof of enrollment.
  4. Copy of your identity card or passport

  5. Diploma supplement or equivalent document: this is an overview of all the subjects taken, with the result obtained and the number of periods of education. If your university does not issue a Diploma Supplement, you must include the official study program (syllabus), which describes the content of the courses. If a webpage is available for the official course description, it can also be added. If you’ve already added the Diploma Supplement to the story, you don’t need to add it a second time.

  6. Are you a recognized refugee? Then submit official proof of this

  7. Dutch / English language test (if already available): depending on the teaching language of the study program for which you are applying

  8. Chinese student? You may need to send an APS certificate. More information in English at


After submitting the application, it can take approx three months to be taken before the result is known. For this reason there are deadlines

Requests cannot be processed if a legalized copy of the basic diploma and / or other required documents is missing

It is always possible that the International Admissions Desk will ask you to submit your original documents: during the application process or at the time of registration. Keep the original documents close at hand!

Application from 1 March for a Dutch language study program for the next academic year:

This is only possible if you you do not need to apply for a visa and if you already meet the language requirements of education. Please contact the International Admissions Office –

From 1 June it is no longer possible to start an application for registration as an international student.

Not graduated yet?

You can already start the application process and submit your application before the deadline expires. You don’t have to wait until you graduate† Instead of the legalized diploma and the list of points or the diploma supplement, present, among others, the following documents before the deadline:

  • Statement from your university / college stating that you will graduate. The official name of the diploma and the expected graduation date must be indicated on the declaration.
  • Recent points list with courses for which you have already taken an exam.

The institution can send it directly to, indicating your full name and your file number in the subject line.

If the examination of the file is positive, you have been accepted by the University of Ghent and you will receive an admission letter. The letter of admission will indicate that you at the time of registration must present a legalized copy of your basic diploma.

je I can’t register if you cannot present the legalized diploma at the time of registration at the latest.

File Search (Behind the Scenes)

  • The International Admissions Desk – Student Administration and Study Programs Department (IAD) will check if you meet the general admission requirements and if you have submitted the required documents
  • Your application will be forwarded to the competent Faculty. The dossier is examined in more detail at the faculty and there it will be assessed whether your diploma is sufficient and therefore if you have relevant previous knowledge in the field. The faculty will then check whether you are admitted to the study or not.
  • The faculty makes a recommendation and informs the IAD accordingly.
  • IAD makes this decision for you. When you are admitted, you will receive a acceptance letter received, signed by the head of the Student and Degree Programs Secretariat

Acceptance letter

If you have successfully completed the entire application process, you will receive an admission letter. With this letter you can:

Attention: academic admission application and scholarship / scholarship application are not the same. Submitting an application for a scholarship does not mean that Ghent University has also received an application for academic admission. If you have been awarded a scholarship, this does not necessarily mean that you can be admitted to the University of Ghent as a student.

The admission letter will contain the following information:

  • personal data and file number (reference)
  • the degree program for which you have been admitted and the organizing faculty
  • the academic year in which you were admitted (not for a PhD)
  • where you can register and what documents you need to submit


Leave a Comment