The German Bundestag is offering the International Parliamentary Scholarship (IPS) program of the Arab states for the tenth time. The scholarship will give 24 young and committed graduates from the Arab world the opportunity to learn more about the German political system.
The Arab States Program of the International Parliamentary Scholarship (IPS) is aimed at young and politically engaged people from the Arab world who are interested in the German parliamentary system and who actively promote basic democratic values in their home countries.
In a compact four-week program, fellows get an insight into the German parliamentary system and political decision-making processes in the German Bundestag.
The program takes place every year from 1st to 30th September in Berlin. The core is a one-week internship with a member of the German Bundestag.
The focus is also on events on the German parliamentary system as well as conferences, workshops and seminars on topics such as the history and culture of Germany, religious freedom, minority issues, system confrontations, experiences of dictatorship and German culture. of memory (NS dictatorship, SED dictatorship).
Participants will receive a contribution of 500 euros. In addition, health insurance, accident and civil liability costs are covered. Furthermore, free accommodation in a residential complex is granted. Travel expenses to and from Berlin will be reimbursed.
The scholarship program is aimed at highly skilled, committed, open-minded, resilient and politically interested young women and men from the Arab world who wish to actively and responsibly contribute to shaping the democratic future of their countries.
Applicants are invited to a personal selection interview at a German mission abroad and selected by an independent selection committee of the German Bundestag on the basis of their professional, social, linguistic and intercultural skills.
The admission requirements
- Citizenship of a participating country
- under the age of 35 at the start of the scholarship on 1 September
- completed university studies
- Good knowledge of German (at least level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages)
- Pronounced interest in political contexts and social / political commitment
Please submit your complete online application documents in a PDF document whose file name consists of your surname and first name
(eg “surname-first name”), by e-mail to the German diplomatic mission in your country of origin.
The application must be sent in German and contain the following scanned documents:
- application form
- Passport photo (to be inserted on the first page of the application form);
- Proof of good knowledge of the German language (B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages or comparable);
- Motivation letter in German with your handwritten signature (maximum two pages);
- Copy of passport or copy of identity;
- University degree certificate in original or official certified copy1 in English or German. The original or the official copy of the original must be presented in case of a possible selection interview.
- a letter of recommendation in German or English (from a university teacher or employer, in which the applicant’s professional qualifications for the program are assessed).
1 Copies are certified if an official body (German or foreign authority, embassy or consulate of the Federal Republic of Germany, university institution, notary, sworn interpreter) certifies with an official seal and signature that the photocopy corresponds to the original. In case of multiple photocopies stapled together, each single sheet must be certified. If the documents are not properly certified, the application cannot be processed.
Extension Application deadline: 1 December 2020
Submit your online application to the German mission abroad in your home country!
Parliamentary coordination is carried out by the group of speakers for international exchange programs. The patron of the program is the president of the German Bundestag.
You can find this information and the application form at www.bundestag.de/ips_arabisch.
If you have any questions, please email us: firstname.lastname@example.org