The district of Dillingen is located in Bavaria, in the administrative district of Swabia. History, politics, inhabitants and places of interest – here you have an overview.
The Dillingen district borders Baden-Württemberg and has a size of 792 square kilometers. The Via Danubia long-distance cycle path runs through the district along the Danube, the largest river in the district. The extension of the B 492 and the three-lane ring road of Dillingen following the B 16 they contribute to the strengthening of the company localization.
Here in this article we introduce you to the district. You will receive all the information on politics, geography, history, sights and population development.
The district of Dillingen in figures: a brief profile
The district of Dillingen is located in the administrative district of Swabia. Here in the profile you will find information about the district at a glance:
- Residents: 97,640
- Federal state: Bavaria
- governorate: Swabia
- Size: 792 km²
- Altitude: 401 – 613 m asl
- Asset budget 2022: 32,260,972 euros
- Royal School: 3
- Gym: 4a
- Technical schools: 2
- Adult education centers: 5
- District clinics: 2
Dillingen district: location and population development
There are currently 97,640 inhabitants (as of December 2021) living in the Dillingen district. The cities, markets and communities with the largest population are Dillingen, Wertingen And Lauingen.
Read this too
The district borders the Heidenheim district of Baden-Württemberg and the following districts in Bavaria:
These towns, markets and communities are located in the Dillingen district:
- Dillingen to the DanubeGreater county seat (19,314)
- Gundelfingen to the Danube (7882)
- max to the Danube (6879)
- Lauingen (Danube) (11,068)
- Wertingen (9356)
- Aislingen (1322)
- bissingen (3675)
- Wittislingen (2402)
- brook hail (2249)
- Bachingen and der Brenz (1368)
- Binswangen (1340)
- blind house (1756)
- Buttenwiesen (5988)
- Finningen (1745)
- Glory (1118)
- Haunsheim (1605)
- wooden house (3646)
- Laugna (1598)
- Lutzingen (984)
- Medlingen (1027)
- Modingen (1367)
- Schwenningen (1403)
- Syrgen Stone (3790)
- Villabach (1277)
- ornamental house (1041)
- Zöschingen (741)
- together at home (1231)
Dillingen District: History in Milestones
In the 10th century, the successive Counts of Dillingen, a noble Swabian family, settled in the Danube valley. They lived in today’s Dillingen Castle – at that time it was still a refugee castle. Hartmann IV von Dillingen († 1258) and Adalbert IV († 1257) were the last male descendants of the noble family. After Hartmann IV’s death, the Duchy of Bavaria received the County of Dillingen. Here you will find some historical landmarks in the Dillingen district:
- 46 BC Chr .: The important commercial street Via Claudia is from Rome to Danube built.
- 1122 AD: Wertingen is mentioned for the first time.
- 1220: First mention of the then castle in Dillingen.
- 1258: With the death of Graf Hartman IV. the noble family of the Counts died Dillingen outside.
- 1268: Gundelfingen to the Danube, Lauingen And max to the Danube they are now part of the county Dillingen owned by the duchy Bavaria.
- 1458-1520: The fortified castle in Dillingen extends to the castle.
- 1700: Wertingen from now on it belongs to the electorate Bavaria.
- 1804: The district court Dillingen will be set.
- 1939: The term “county” is used. Germany introduced.
- 1972: Due to the local government reform, the new Dillingen district to the Danube educated.
- 1973: The county gets a new coat of arms. The official description reads: “Under a blue shield head, in it a golden lion striding, divided by gold and blue; above a black lion striding, with a red armored appearance, below a golden lily “.
Sights and excursion destinations in the Dillingen district
In terms of tourism, the district values quality and activities in nature. “A few years ago we decided to focus our tourism activities in the highly interesting areas of cycling, hiking and water. That is why in recent years we have redesigned many cycling and hiking routes and marked them very well,” said L district administrator Leo Schrell in an interview with our editors.
There are several historical sites in the Dillingen district. Here is an overview of a selection:
- Door lock Dillingen
- Door lock max
- Door lock Dillingen
- Obermedlingen monastery
- Roman temple
- Monastery church of Maria Medingen
- Pilgrimage Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary (Buggenhofen)
Between 1589 and 1603, Count Palatine Philipp Ludwig commissioned the Höchstädt Castle. His wife Anna von Jülich-Kleve-Berg spent 17 years in the castle after her death. The building has been restored and accessible since 2004.
In the district of Dillingen there are also many hiking destinations in the nature. Here are some highlights:
- Donauwald hiking trail
- Mouth of the Brenz in Danube
- path of sculptures Donau-Ries
- Sophienried Bird Watching Tower
Eleven works of art are exhibited in nature along the eleven-kilometer sculpture trail. The route is located in the two districts of Dillingen and Donau-Ries.
A nationally known excursion destination are the seven chapels and their circular route. At 153 kilometers, the circular route connects all the chapels of the Siegfried and Elfriede Denzel Foundation and leads through the district. “The chapels are hidden treasures in the landscape, for rest and meditation for a stressed society”, said the Protestant pastor Manuel Kleiner.
There are five nature reserves in the Dillingen district:
- Data Hauser Ried
- Gunslinger Finger Moss
- Neugeschüttwörth Nature Forest Reserve
- Toplet and Obere Aschau
Lakes and rivers in the Dillingen district
The Dillingen district is shaped by the Danube. It flows through the district area for a length of 27 kilometers. In addition to the Danube, the following rivers partially or completely flow in the Dillingen district:
- water heater
There are three officially designated bathing lakes in the district, where the Dillingen Health Department takes water samples once a month:
- lake of desires
In addition to the three bathing lakes mentioned, there are many other bathing possibilities. Here, too, the health department checks the quality of the water during the bathing season:
- water skiing lake, Gundelfingen
- Silbersee, Scheringen
- Special house for community pond
- bathing lake a Schwenningen
- Fast lake, Binswangen
- Rossau lakesWeisingen
In our map you can see if the bathing establishments are in your area. You can get detailed information by clicking on the blue indicator.
Politics in the Dillingen district
District Administrator Leo Schrell has been in office since 2004. “Our district presents itself as a strong and dynamic business location with a very high quality of life,” he says on the district’s official website. Since the March 2020 district elections, the seats in the Dillingen district have been distributed as follows:
- CSU: 19
- Free voters (fw): 11
- Green: 7
- SPD: 6
- future: 4
- AfD: 3
- Youth Union: 3
- List of citizens: 3
- FDP: 2
- REPRESENTATIVE: 1
- The left: 1
Voter turnout in the Dillingen district averaged 58.5% in 2020. The municipality of Finningen had the highest turnout with 81.9%. Lauingen had the lowest turnout at 43.9%.
Dillingen district: key data on the economy and education
In the 2019 Future Atlas, Dillingen was ranked 232 out of 401. The district’s main traffic artery is Federal Highway 16. There is no highway through the district of Dillingen an der Donau, but there are good connections with the A7 and A8.
The significant companies of the district are:
- BSH domestic appliances
- Creaton, Deutz-Fahr
- Demmler for vehicle construction
- Joseph Gartner
- Grünbeck water treatment
- Dairy products
- publisher and typographer GJ Manz
- Danube newspaper
In addition to four grammar schools, two technical institutes and three junior high schools, there are also numerous adult education facilities in the district. The district’s official website has published a detailed list of additional training opportunities:
- 1 vocational training center in Bavaria Deal (bfz) gGmbH
- 1 IHK computer learning study in Dillingen upDanube
- 1 IT qualification center Dillingen (ITQZ)
- 1 Kolping Educational Institute in Dillingen upDanube
- 5 adult education centers (Dillingen upDanube, Gundelfingen upDanube, max upDanube, Lauingen (Danube), together)
- 1 house of Deal Northern Swabia inside Dillingen upDanube
- 1 Academy for Teacher Training and Personnel Management in Dillingen upDanube
- 1 technical school for environmental protection and regenerative energies
- 1 technology center a Lauingen (Danube)
- 1 vocational school max with the state district Bavaria for the horticultural professions “gardening and landscaping” and “nursery”
- 1 Environmental Protection Education Center a Lauingen (Danube)
- 1 academy specializing in social pedagogy