Monk “Ozapft is” will be the motto again this autumn in Munich. After two years without awning and beer on the Theresienwiese, the city of Munich wants to celebrate Oktoberfest again.
After a two-year Corona break, Oktoberfest will also take place this year in Munich. This was announced on Friday by Mayor of Munich Dieter Reiter (SPD). There should therefore be no access restrictions.
Thus, on 17 September, the motto of the Theresienwiese will again be “Ozapft is” for the first time. The festival lasts until October 3rd.
The largest folk festival in the world before the pandemic attracted around six million visitors. It was canceled in 2020 and 2021 due to Covid-19. In the more than 200-year history of the popular festival, there have been longer breaks only in wartime.
Meanwhile, the Corona requirements for popular holidays have been dropped in the Free State. Bavarian Prime Minister Markus Söder (CSU) had made it clear that he was convinced that Oktoberfest should take place “at least from a legal point of view”. “I think we should do it,” he said too. However, the decision as to whether and how the popular festivals take place is up to the respective municipalities. So the ball was in the hands of the state capital.
The hosts want to celebrate peacefully
Last year, city officials expressed their confidence that beer can flow freely on the Theresienwiese again this year. Concepts are being developed about how Oktoberfest 2022 can unfold and how guests can enjoy themselves in the safest way possible, Reiter said last September. Wiesn chief Clemens Baumgärtner (CSU) made a similar statement.
For a short time it was considered whether the festival could be brought forward due to the growing number of infections in autumn. But this was quickly dismissed.
More recently, after a performance by Kyiv Mayor Vitali Klitschko, the Munich City Council discussed live whether it was possible to happily celebrate in view of the war and the suffering of the people. Wiesn’s owners responded that it contributes to international understanding when people from all over the world celebrate peacefully together. It was also claimed that a refusal would play into the hands of the Kremlin leader Vladimir Putin because it would show his power to him.
The joy of the hosts and Wiesn showmen is great. “It’s almost impossible to put into words. It’s beautiful, really,” Peter Inselkammer, spokesman for the host and host of the Armbrustschützenzelt, told Bavarian radio. Spokeswoman for showman Yvonne Heckl said: “I’m speechless. I still can’t believe it. I could really cry for joy.”
Cannstatter Volksfest should also take place
The Cannstatter Volksfest in Stuttgart will also take place without access restrictions this year. “At the moment there are no conditions and we plan quite normally,” said Jörg Klopfer of the event company in Stuttgart on request.
The Cannstatter Wasen Folklore Festival is the second largest festival in the world after Oktoberfest in Munich. Before Corona, the organizers had 3.5 to 4 million visitors each year. It had been canceled in the past two years due to the pandemic. From 23 September this year until 9 October, it will be celebrated for the 175th time in its history, provided the conditions are not yet in place, as Klopfer said.
The traditional Stuttgart spring festival is currently open on the Wasen, on the banks of the Neckar, the first in two years. It is celebrated in a streamlined version. From April 16 to May 8, more than 230 showmen and market traders will set the mood with roller coasters, a free-fall tower and bumper cars. As for the pandemic and the war, there will be no marquees with party music and musical fireworks this year.
© dpa-infocom, dpa: 220429-99-94614 / 6