If you are interested in the world of cryptocurrencies, cryptocurrencies or the internet, you have probably already heard of the metaverse. After the web and web 2, this web 3 is based on virtual reality and is currently arousing considerable enthusiasm, both among ordinary citizens and investors. But what is the metaverse? How does this virtual universe really work and what can you do there? And above all, how can you also invest in the metaverse? This is what we invite you to discover through this article and complete guide to the metaverse.
Metaverse in the world: key figures
– The metaverse market is growing steadily and exponentially: in 2020 its value was 478.7 billion dollars. It would be worth about $650 billion in 2022 and would reach $783.3 billion by 2024. In 2030, these revenues could exceed $5 trillion.
– If we consider the Blockchain-based metaverses and the gaming market, we quickly reach 3 billion users worldwide.
– In 2021, the total value of the global mixed reality (including augmented reality) and virtual reality market reached $28 billion and is projected to exceed $250 billion by 2028.
– According to Ramy Darwish, there are 5 most popular Blockchain-based metaverses.
– By the end of 2022, the number of mobile augmented reality users worldwide is expected to reach 1.1 billion, rising to 1.7 billion in 2024.
– Among the more than 160 companies that make up the metaverse, Meta occupies a central place (the company has already invested $10 billion in the metaverse). Other companies like Microsoft, Google, Apple, NVIDIA, Epic Games, Decentraland, Roblox, Unity Software, Snapchat, Tinder, Nike, and Amazon are also popular in the metaverse.
– The main platforms used in the metaverse are Decentraland (mostly), Sandbox, Axie Infinity, Bloktopia, Roblox (growing), Illuvium and Bottom Line.
– The 3 cryptocurrencies with the largest market caps in 2022 are Ethereum (AXS, $228 billion), Decentraland (MANA, $2.36 billion), and The Sandbox (SAND, $1.73 billion), according to Live Coin Watch data.
– Metaverse stocks to watch in 2022 include Meta Platforms (FB), Roblox (RBLX), Unity Software (U), Nvidia (NVDA), Match Group (MTCH), and Take-Two Interactive (TTWO), following GoBankingRates and The Motley Fool. They would be promising given that the companies related to them are booming.
– The regions of the world most involved in the development of the metaverse in terms of market shares held are North America (with 45.3% market share), Europe and Asia Pacific (for which a boom in the next 8 years), according to a study by Emergen Research.
– According to an IPSOS study, the 5 countries where the metaverse gets the most positive sentiments among surveyed populations are China, India, Peru, Saudi Arabia, and Colombia. Conversely, respondents in higher-income countries (such as the US, Switzerland or France) are less enthusiastic about the metaverse.
– As colossal metaverse projects develop, new positions – existing or completely innovative – will be created by the thousands or even in the millions, especially in the fields of 3D modeling, Blockchain and NFT development, and cybersecurity.
– The largest land sale in the metaverse to date was on May 24, 2022 between Curzio Research, a financial publishing house, and TCG World, for 19 properties with a total value of $5 million.
Metaverse in Europe: key figures
– More than 120,000 stores in France will use AR technologies to offer a more innovative shopping experience by the end of 2022.
– In the last six months, 2328 articles on the metaverse have been published in the Swiss press.
– In 2022, 69% of Belgians understand what the metaverse is, which is more than two-thirds of the population.
– In the same year, 62% of the French do not see the interest of the metaverse and three quarters of the French are afraid of it.
– Meta has announced the recruitment of 10,000 people over the next 5 years in the European Union to develop in this universe.
The metaverse market is predicted to grow exponentially through 2030
The metaverse market is growing steadily and exponentially worldwide: in 2020, its value was $478.7 billion. It would represent about $650 billion in 2022 and reach $783.3 billion in 2024. By 2030, these revenues could cross the $5 trillion mark.
Over 1.7 billion augmented reality users by 2024
The number of augmented reality users is growing exponentially all over the world. Data published by Statista shows that:
– In 2022, there will be 1.07 billion augmented reality users worldwide.
– This means that between 2019 and 2022 there were 630 million more users who used this technology.
– By 2024, there are projected to be 660 million new augmented reality users worldwide. By then, nearly one in four humans would be expected to use AR technology.
What is the metaverse?
The term metaverse actually refers to an evolving network of interconnected virtual worlds. In fact, these universes allow for real-time interaction between players who can work there and interact socially, transact there, play games there, and even create there.
The development of the metaverse is based on the virtualization that we have known for a few years and on advanced technologies such as virtual reality, optical sensors and other recent innovations.
The metaverse is first and foremost defined by undeniable factors which are the definition of digital identity, digital property, digital currencies, and the universal transferability of digital assets. Thus, the metaverse creates a true digital economy in a virtual world.
How does the metaverse work?
We enter the metaverse as avatars where we interact with others by working, socializing, investing and playing. A blockchain-based decentralized virtual economy looms large in this virtual world.
The concept is still nebulous today. It’s much clearer to imagine thinking of the metaverse as a transition to the next generations of the internet. This will mean greater online connectivity and wider acceptance of decentralized and VR/AR technologies in the decades to come.